Bolton Wanderers finally announced the players who still remain under contract this morning.
It is one month to the day since the club entered administration which explains the delay in confirming the players for next season.
With most of last year’s squad out of contract, Bolton have been left with just the bare bones of a squad.
- Can Bolton cope without Sammy Ameobi?
- Jussi Jaaskelainen calls time on Wrexham coaching career
- Comment: Bassini still eyeing up Bolton takeover – Just call it a day, Laurence
In total, Bolton have 14 players contracted to them for next season. Only 8 of which started a game for Bolton last season.
- Ben Alnwick – Goalkeeper
- Jordan Boon – Defender
- Eddie Brown – Striker
- Luca Connell – Midfielder
- Ronan Darcy – Midfielder
- Liam Edwards – Defender
- Connor Hall – Striker
- Jason Lowe – Midfielder
- Josh Magennis – Striker
- Remi Matthews – Goalkeeper
- Luke Murphy – Midfielder
- Erhun Oztumer – Midfielder
- Dennis Politic – Midfielder
- Yoan Zouma – Defender
Somehow, whoever’s managing Bolton next season will have to fashion a team from the very limited selection above.
MORE BOLTON STORIES
Hopefully, with new owners in, quite possibly from tomorrow, Wanderers can go on the hunt for a few players to bolster their meagre squad.
- What Bolton wouldn’t give to have Ivan Campo back
- Would Bolton really miss Erhun Oztumer if he left?
- Rodrigo: Former Wanderer attracting £100m interest from Barcelona
Bolton’s current 2019/20 line-up
With the players currently at the club here’s a rough idea of how Bolton could line-up come the start of pre-season:
Subs: Matthews, Darcy, Brown
*Ben Alnwick selected over Remi Matthews on the basis of a coin toss.
It’s safe to say that if Bolton are to compete in League One next season, they’ll have to get recruiting as soon as possible.
The new owners and whoever’s managing the club come the start of the season have a mammoth task ahead of them just to keep Bolton in League One, never mind aiming for promotion.
With just 51 days left until the season starts, it’s going to be a busy time for the big-wigs at Bolton.